Thursday, January 04, 2007

Plastic Surgery

Yep, so I have now entered the world of 'plastic surgery'. Of course not in the way that is most common.
The top five surgical procedures cosmetic procedures in 2005 were:

1. Liposuction with 455,489 procedures performed
2. Breast Augmentation with 364,610 procedures up nine percent from 2004.
3. Blepharoplasty (cosmetic eyelid surgery) came in third with 231,467
4. Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping) is the forth most common procedure with 200,924 procedures performed
5. Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) reported 169,314 procedures

Shockingly Scar Revision is not mentioned, it should be though. With a really good surgeon, it is a wonder what they can do for a really bad scar... I think that it is all those years of practice hiding scars from face lifts and breast augmentations...

However, just when I decided that Plastic Surgery is a really good thing, I heard a sad story of a breast augmentation gone wrong. Somehow it caused a collapsed lung. I had never heard of that before... Afterwards I felt a little guilty. My surgery went beautifully, and it looks as though I will have a beautiful result (very thin knee scar -- I'll post a picture when I have a good after one.

Still, any surgery is risky, I guess it is just a matter of weighing the pros and cons, the risks, finding the best surgeon possible, and probably good follow up care...

anyhow, I was wondering, what is your view of plastic surgery, Vain, or understandable? Would you ever consider it? And if so, just something small, or would you consider something larger, like for instance if you started to develop jowls...?

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Hmmm, I would definitely consider it to correct a scar or a deformity caused by injury or surgery, but I don't really see myself ever wanting to have any other type of plastic surgery. Frankly, it seems kind of outlandish to me.

But on the other hand, if I were to move to a place like Los Angeles where no one is growing old and physical appearance is really really important, who's to say I might not start thinking about it?

D. said...

Oh! I had a plastic surgeon remove the cyst on my face. My basic thought process was: It's front and center on my FACE. I am NOT letting any old doctor mess with that.

I think if you have a distractingly bad feature of some sort: DDD boobs, a nose that's like 5 inches long, a severe assymetry of the face, etc. - even if you're born with it - it can really make sense to have plastic surgery. If you have any of those and are happy with them, even better, but if not - it would be understandable to get them changed.

I personally could imagine myself getting something done to my eyelids when I'm older - I have a slight assymetry now that's not a big deal, but I can imagine that when I'm older one eye will look half-closed all the time. If that happens, I'd consider plastic surgery. So people don't refer to me as "you know - the indian lady with one eye closed."