When we went snow-shoeing two weeks ago at Lake Tahoe, we decided to climb up to the top of a ridge that overlooks the lake. Our friend loaned us a GPS unit, so we decided to take it with us. We wrote down our coordinates at the car so that we could find our way back. I read the coordinates to Ed and he put them in his pocket.
We hiked up the to the peak, taking a pretty direct route. One the way down we had to meander a lot more because it's hard to go down hill in showshoes (face-planting in snow still hurts).
Part way down, Ed asked "what units are the GPS coordinates in?"
I responded: "The normal units - latitude and longitude."
"But the numbers you read only have 2 decimals - that's only going to put us within 2 miles of the car."
"Oh. Well, there were more digits after the decimal, but I thought you would be annoyed at having to write them all down."
"You're right. I might have been annoyed."
Wednesday, April 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You went snowshoeing?! I'm jealous! I *totally* want to go snowshoeing. We have 6 months of winter here, and I still haven't done it. (I keep telling Susheem I want snowshoes for Christmas and he doesn't believe me!)
Did you buy or rent snowshoes? Tell me more!
We rented snow shoes up at Lake Tahoe and went out for a couple of hours. It was really fun - all quiet and peaceful and pretty as we hiked up to a ridge with a view of the lake.
It was really easy to walk in the snow shoes on the way up. And then we started down...it's trickier than going up and I face planted once. But we got the hang of it.
Overall it was pretty awesome. It was definitely a big improvement over our last snow adventure when we hiked for 4 hours through the snow in our hiking boots trying to climb to the top of Mt. Timpanogos too late in the season. We didn't make it - it got too dangerous without equipment.
You should definitely try it - I think it only cost about $11 to rent the snowshoes. The hard thing is to figure out where to go where there won't be a lot of snowmobiles. We asked the guy at the rental place and he gave us good advice.
Post a Comment