Monday, July 24, 2006

VIP's for a day

Today my kind and generous colleague at work gave Ed and me a pair of tickets to see the Oakland A's play the Boston Red Sox tonight. The seats were in the VIP section 5 rows behind home plate and included special parking and all of the free food we wanted. By the seventh inning, Ed had eaten a bowl of Clam Chowder, a plate of fish & chips, a Dr. Pepper, 2/3 of a plate of Nachos, a Stadium Dog, and Hot Chocolate with whipped cream. He also worked his way through half of the bag of peanuts that was on the seats when we arrived. I didn't try to stop him from eating all of that, but being the attentive wife that I am, I did hand him the empty peanut bag in the ninth inning when he started to hold his stomach and mentioned the possibility of throwing up.

The A's lost pretty convincingly. They were down 0-7 after the third or fourth inning. But we were entertained for most of the game by the girl in front of us who was constantly screaming the name of the player in the on-deck circle, which was only 10 or 15 feet from us, to see if they would look over. None of them ever did.

5 comments:

louisgray said...

Nikki,

Brian Pharris (from the Lawrence Station ward) and I were both at the game as well. Jason Pintar and I were slated to go, but he had to back out late. You should have told us - we're A's regulars.

In fact, we were there Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and today (don't tell, it was church hooky time).

More here: http://www.athleticsnation.com/story/2006/7/30/202646/583

gumball said...

Did you see Frank Thomas hit the ball?
He has been a favorite player of mine for a long time.

Nikki said...

Yep, we saw Frank. In fact, we just got back from another A's game tonight and Frank hit the winning home run. We were reading in the A's Magazine at the game that Nick Swisher has been following Frank around trying to glean knowledge from him. Apparently, it's working - he did great tonight too.

Nikki said...

Hey Louis - do you guys have season tickets?

gumball said...

I saw Frank in Comerica Park vs. the Tigers a couple years ago. The Tigers were so lame then, but they beat the Chisox in extra innings that night. I was sitting in an area that provided no free food nor beverage.