This month's hobby-of-the-month is hiking. I got really excited about it after going to REI to get a few things for our 'Camping at the Grand Canyon Family Reunion' with Ed's family last month. Everything at REI is cool. I bought new hiking shoes, socks, a hiking hat and a camelbak.
At the Grand Canyon, we hiked down a mile and a half (it's 9 miles to the bottom) and then climbed back out and my legs were toast. We've been hiking regularly since then and I feel like I'm getting stronger. We've been talking about climbing Half Dome in Yosemite in September. Today, however, I realized how weak I still am. We did a 10-mile hike that included climbing Mt. Diablo (3000+ vertical feet of climbing). I don't think I've ever even walked for 10 miles in a row.
It took us five and a half hours and being the lazy morons that we are, we didn't get onto the trail until 11am, so we did the whole thing in the worst heat of the day (90 degrees) - we went through four liters of water and both got sunburned (I forgot to put sunscreen on the backs of my arms). The descents were really steep and gravelly and it was hard not to slip and slide - I fell once and came down hard on my hand.
By the time we got back, our feet were killing us. Half Dome (which is a 16-mile round trip with 5000 feet of climbing that usually takes 10-12 hours) is looking a lot more scary.
Saturday, August 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment