Monday, September 12, 2005

Puppies, Babies, and Countertops

Check out this great post about raising puppies (and kids): Mormon Mommy Wars. I know my kids are going to realize right away that I can't actually force them to do anything and then they will never mind me again.

On a mostly unrelated note, we didn't have enough storage space in our kitchen, so we bought a modular cabinet from Ikea (you pick out the countertop and cabinet separately). We picked a nice looking wood countertop only to find out that we had to cut it down to size ourselves. Ok, fine. We're mormon - it only took 10 minutes at church to find a retired guy with a saw who was happy to help us. Then they gave us the wrong sized cabinet - so we had to brave Ikea on Labor Day. Yes, it was my worst shopping nightmare come true.

We finally got the cabinet put together and were trying to figure out how to attach the countertop when we read in the instructions that we have to buy a special Ikea oil and treat it every three days for 2 months. Not only did I have to go back to Ikea AGAIN, but now I have needy countertop. "Um, no, I can't come over tonight. I have to oil my countertop."

After the first couple of treatments, I have to admit that the oiled wood is looking very spiffy. When I get my house cleaned up, I'll take pictures for you guys.

4 comments:

D. said...

That's hilarious! Our kitchen expension experience was trying to find a great wine/liquor type rack/shelf thing where we could put all our wine glasses, bottles, etc. We found the perfect one in the "Skymall" catalogue and then spent 4 *months* looking for one at an ordinary store. We finally gave up and bought the Skymall one and *the next day* we found the exact same one at a store that was ... ... right by our house! I had walked by it almost every day after work and never looked in! Anyway, it all worked out in the end - we cancelled the skymall order and got it from the store, but it was all pretty funny.

Imagine being all grown up and having a place with a *nice* kitchen!

D. said...

Wait... I already told that story, didn't I? Several times? Oopsie.

Nikki said...

No, I haven't heard it before. Maybe you told your OTHER best friends :)

Becky said...

Wow, talk about kitchen woes...On a related note. I think that I have actually done the ikea on labor day thing...only mine was the PA one, the weekend after it opened. I survived, but it was close. I think they make you come back on purpose. You can never take just one trip to Ikea sucessfully!