Friday, September 02, 2005

The saga that is my knee...

So we removed the hardware (good) and put my knee back together. It was healing along seemingly well. But Monday it started to hurt in a certain spot, and it just got worse every day. By Wednesday evening I had started to get worried. Since it was not better Thursday I made an appointment to go in. This is what it looked like:


Does this look infected to you?

A big red spot, kind of swollen and sensitive. Suggestive of an infection if you ask me. I was fully expecting antibiotics...however, when the nurse practicioner took a look at it, she said that she wasn't sure (since there was no puss). She thought that it might just be inflamed. She said that I should just watch it, and if it got worse come back. (Note this is Thursday--right before a long weekend). Apparently it just wasn't bad enough yet...


If the red gets beyond the black lines, then we panic...


They drew these lines on it and said that if the red gets outside the lines to come back...and by the way, not to worry, there is a doctor on call over the weekend...
Somehow, this was, to me, a fairly disappointing response. I mean, it hurts plenty--I don't particularly want to wait for it to get worse...

meanwhile, this morning--it looks the same. Not worse so I can go get it fixed, but certainly no better...

Arg-Medicine can be so frustrating--there just isn't that much which they know with certainty.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Oh, Becky, it looks so painful. You're brave.

D. said...

So crazy! You are very brave. I second that. And you have an amazing ability to take pictures while in pain.