Monday, November 07, 2005

Back Pain, Part Deux

My back has still been giving me problems, so on Saturday, I decided I would rest it by laying on the couch and watching TV all day (I'm also just lazy.) Big mistake. By Sunday, I could hardly sit down without pain. I started to cry during church - not because I was feeling touched (actually, I was feeling touched, whacked and kicked by the kids behind me) but because my back hurt so bad.

So this morning, I finally figured out how to see a doctor under my new health plan and I made an appointment. It turns out that when your back hurts, laying around is bad for you and walking is good for you. Who knew?

She gave me some drugs and I went back to work. As soon as I got there, I popped in a pain killer and 30 minutes later I started feeling better. I also started feeling a little whoozy. It became quickly apparent that I wasn't going to be doing any ground-breaking research today, so I decided to get some little administrative things done. I kept forgetting what I was doing, so I whenever I changed tasks, I wrote down what I was trying to do (i.e. send an electronic photo to Stephanie). Then when I was browsing through my picture files and I forgot why I was doing that, I could refer back to my note (oh, yeah. Send a picture to Stephanie.) A couple of times, I forgot about the note and just sat there staring at my computer. I wasn't really making much progress on my chores, but I didn't think it was a good idea to drive until I felt a little more clear-headed. When I finally thought I could remember who I was and where I was going for long enough to get home safely, I gave up and left. These are the days when it's nice not to have a boss.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Yeah, I really missed you this weekend, Heather :)

I don't know why it's so messed up. It started feeling sore about 3 weeks ago, but it wasn't disruptively bad until Saturday, when it starting quickly deteriorating until the only positions that didn't hurt were standing up or laying flat on my back.

Anyway, the drugs are working nicely and it's feeling much better now. I guess it would help if I started exercising and eating something other than Halloween Candy.

Nikki said...

Sorry, Ed, but it's against the law to diagnose a patient over the phone. If you want to tell me what to do, you're going to have to come out here and examine me first.