Monday, October 31, 2005

Flying Puppies

I just got back from New York a couple of hours ago. I flew on Jet Blue. Little TV's with live direct tv for everyone: Cool. Giving everyone crappy headphones that don't cover their ears so that in turning up the sound loud enough to understand the dialogue over the airplane engines, they also subject everyone around them to whatever they are watching: Uncool. Sitting within earshot of 5 people that are doing this: Very Uncool.

At the beginning of the flight, the flight attendent asked the woman sitting in the window seat next to me if she would be willing to trade seats with someone because that person had a pet in a box and someone sitting by them was allergic to it. Then the flight attendant asked me and the guy on the aisle if we minded having a pet on our row. Among the thoughts that raced through my mind: "Is the pet going to sit in that seat by itself? Is this person going to hold a pet in their lap for six hours? Is it potty trained? Are you serious? If I put Ed in a box on my lap, can he travel for free?" We both gave her a blank stare, paused, and then hesistantly said, "Um, okay." Luckily some other flight attendant brokered a seat-swap deal with someone else before my row mate could switch. In the end, our little row struck up a nice rapport and it was a pleasant flight.

I have to go home now and hand out Halloween Candy. Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

D. said...

Yay! Halloween!!!! (Sorry, I got my first trick-or-treator ever last night. I'm so happy.)

Nikki said...

Me too. The little ones are so cute. I can't wait to have cute little kids and dress them up in cute little costumes.

Nikki said...

Unfortunately, the noise cancelling headphones only cancel out low-frequency noises (like the noise of the plane). So ironically, when I use them on the plane just to cancel noise (as opposed to watching tv or listening to music - for which they improve the sound immensely) they cancel the white noise of the airplane engine and make it easier to hear higher pitched noise (like music coming from someone else's headphones or a nearby conversation).

D. said...

I just realized why you were going back from NY! How was the conference?!

Nikki said...

It was great. It's much funner when you're a professor. Getting a job seems to signal to the other professors that you are worthy enough to be spoken to.