Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Early Bird gets a Headache

I'm having problems getting up lately. If my bed gets a point for every minute that I sleep in past 8am and if I get a point for every minute that I'm up before 8am, the score for this week so far would stand at:

Bed: 332
Me: 0

I'm going to a conference on the east coast this weekend and it starts at 7am on Saturday. WHAT THE &*$#????? Did they forget that they invited people from the west coast? Do they not know that 7am Eastern Time = 4am Pacific Time? Do they not know that professors in my department don't come to work until 10am? And that's when they're NOT jet-lagged.

At least I don't have to present until 1:30pm, so I can nurse my "I'm-not-supposed-to-be-up-this-early" headache with a diet coke all morning while I try to wake up enough to function.

Postscript (Sunday, Oct. 30): I just finished the aforementioned conference and I have to admit that it didn't start until 8:30am on Saturday (and noon on Friday). I'm not sure where I got 7am - there is a conference at Berkeley this Friday and I think that one actually starts at 7am.

1 comment:

Becky said...

My bed is winning too--I blame the sun, or rather the lack of it. Not that it ever gets bright in our bedroom (which somehow manages to face a direction that never gets direct sunlight...) but what with winter right now, I just can't seem to drag myself out of bed before 8. It is just still dark...and somehow I have a major aversion to that. Maybe after the time change? (also it might help if in future I did not stay up watching the longest world series game in history--14 innings? I forget).