Saturday, October 08, 2005

Publicity Photo

Yes, I will soon have a publicity photo. That's what they call it here. It's the picture where I'm supposed to look like a real HBS professor. Is it convincing? I keep asking Susheem if I look like a real Professor, and apparently every once in a while, with my suit and leather briefcase, I get really really close.

So anyway, I'm teaching now! Overall it has been a lot of fun. Very tiring and time-consuming, but fun. The students are all really bright and have interesting experience. They ask good (sometimes too good) questions. And the case method is fun - I get to turn things back at them so often. But class is so unpredictable with the case method. Yesterday I had my least structured class ever. The discussion just went in directions I hadn't expected, and there was no clear way to reorganize it. It's okay though - I'm pretty sure they still learned stuff. Probably. Something.
:)

Actually, I have heard through a couple people that some of my students have been saying very good things. Yay! It means so much more when they're saying it to someone else.

Having to go in to work and having a clear task every day is pretty different from non-teaching-professor life, but I really like it. You know, for variety. Not permanantly.

(Oh, and if any of you know how to make the picture smaller without making it look grainy, let me know how. I know that I can set the width to a certain number of pixels, but then the pic just doesn't look as good. Thanks!)

5 comments:

Nikki said...

Very professional looking, Devin. You look like you really know stuff :)

I missed picture day at Haas, so Ed took a picture of me for the website. You can check it out here.

Nikki said...

If you are hosting your pictures on Flickr, it's really easy to make them smaller (just choose 'see other sizes' after you click on a picture and then it shows you a smaller size and gives you the html to put into your post. If you are hosting them a different way, I'm no help (I couldn't get the picture hosting on blogger to work at all.)

Nikki said...

Ed says Outlook will make your pictures smaller for you when you email then, so I guess you could use Outlook to email it to yourself.

D. said...

Cool, thanks! And I like your picture! The one you took of me at Stanford was so great! I got tons of compliments on it.

Becky said...

Yea--very official looking--nice touch with the glasses. I bet your classes are fun! I wish I knew a current student at HBS so I could get the inside scoop...but I don't...
anyhow. Pictures! I'm so proud of you for posting them. I will also try and post something this week (last week was just increadably busy at work).