I spent two hours yesterday working on changing my name. I already got my new driver's license (after a miraculously short 20 minutes at the DMV) and my new social security card (which required a visit to the social security office). At the bank I had to bring in my marriage license and a photo id with my new name. Credit cards were easy - I just called them up and two days later a card arrived with my new name on it.
I also have to contact my cell phone provider (partly done), insurance agent (done), employer (done), brokerage account manager, utility company, internet provider, water company, garbage collection company, the alumni associations of every school I've attended, the U.S. passport agency, and many more that I'm sure I will think of eventually. The biggest hassle so far? Frequent flier programs. Both Southwest and United Airlines are making me photocopy our marriage license and send it to them in the mail. That's right. If you want to steal my credit card, just call them up, pretend to be me, and tell them that you have moved and changed your name. But don't even think about trying to steal my frequent flier miles, because they're on to you.
Sunday, October 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Did you switch names on your students in the middle of the semester? Are they confused? (None of my students say my name. I think they're scared of it.)
No, I changed my Berkeley email address and my name in the directory as soon as I got here. They've been calling me Professor Johnson the whole time. (Although my course is listed with two instructors - Nicole M. Bastian and Nicole Bastian Johnson). I have no idea how to change the name on my Berkeley id card. I'm also not listed in the faculty directory yet. I'm learning to accept the bureaucratic nightmare that is my existence.
Wow -- good for you. about a year ago I almost meant to go change my name...but it didn't happen. Just contemplating the "fun" of the DMV, Social Security office, as well as all the other places such as blockbuster was enough to overwhelm the mild motivation that I felt to actually do it. Maybe when we decide to have kids???
Post a Comment