Sunday, October 01, 2006

Telephones

Ed and I always try to make the other one answer the phone because the only people who call on our home phone are telemarketers and people from church, who generally want one of the following:

1. To ask us to give an old lady a ride to church
2. To ask us to speak or give a lesson in church or a church-related meeting
3. To ask us to perform an act of Christian service that will be good for our souls, but which is generally inconvenient and hard somehow.

Today we were sitting at our desks when the phone rang. The phone sits between us, so we both pretended not to hear the first three rings. Then Ed grabbed the receiver, dropped it in my lap, said "You answer it!" and ran out of the room.

“Hello?”

“…….Hello?”

“Hello. Can I help you?”

“Hello? This is Mark Johnson. Is Victoria Stevens there?”

“No, I think you have the wrong number.”

“Aren't you Victoria?”

“No. You have the wrong number.”

“Okay…….Victoria.”

He sounded really creepy - like some pyscho in a horror movie. I hung up on him and then sat there waiting to see if the phone would ring again, but it didn't - he was probably just some guy stalking his ex-girlfriend who dialed the wrong number.

No comments: