Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Dare not Austria might?

I made it back to California today after a pleasant month in Maryland with Ed. My house wasn't invaded by ants or taken over by spider webs while I was gone and it only took 20 minutes to go through the pile of mail.

I bought a book about World War I in the airport and made some good progress on it on the way home. It's really interesting, but the author has a strange, convoluted writing style that involves really long sentences and way too many commas. Like this:
"The only truly transnational religious movement remained, as it had since the collapse of the Roman empire, the Catholic Church, with bishoprics throughout the world centered on that of Rome; it's incumbent in midsummer 1914, Pope Pius X, was, however, a willing prison in the Vatican, a root-and-branch opponent of all modernising tendencies in theology and as suspicious of his own liberals as he was of Protestants."
If you can't say a sentence in one breath, it's too long. Here's some strange phrasing:
"It remained to see whether the German Emperor and his government, without whose backing the Austrians dare not act, would support them. Dare not Austria might;"

"Dare not Austria might"? What in the heck does that even mean? Doesn't anyone proofread this stuff?

3 comments:

gumball said...

Scarlett and Bill wouldn't even be able to find meaning in that.

Anonymous said...

What is the title of the book? I'm teaching WWI right now. I predict the Allies will win again this year.

Nikki said...

It's "The First World War" by John Keegan.

I'm rooting for the Allies as well. But I had to stop reading until I can find some good maps of Europe to print off. It's too hard to follow the battle descriptions without one.