Why is it that work always seems to happen all at once? I am trying to decide if this is a particular function of my job, my personality, or a commonality for everyone. Partially it is my job. Last week was consensus. We had a big consensus meeting that I was incredibly busy preparing for all week... Serious after-hours prep in fact(although that was partially caused by the fact that my car was getting fixed and so I carpooled with Chris all week--so I tried to live Chris hours. That was so tiring!
Partially it is probably my personality -- I feel the need to do every project/job the moment I receive it or can. Hence times of extreme busyness can be followed by times when I am done. And since, unlike Chris, I am not good at making up work for myself (hence never would have made a good researcher) I do run out.
Perhaps this is a trend that is similar for everyone? Or perhaps only to people who tend to prefer to do projects -- work with an ending point? What do you think. Will I always be oscillating between times of extreme busyness and boredom, or will I someday find a way to smooth out my ebb and flow?
Monday, October 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think your ebb and flow is the opposite of most people's. Rather than being super busy getting a project done quickly and then being bored with nothing to do, most people procrastinate and goof off (while torturing themselves for being such a procrastinating loser) until the last minute and then get super busy getting the job done before the deadline. They could smooth out their workload by getting started on things sooner. I guess what you need to do is work slower and goof off more :)
Post a Comment