Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I'm Too Young for Back Pain

For the last 10 days, my back has been hurting. It's like a pulled muscle or pinched nerve in my lower back, on one side, right below my waist. I know that I should go to the doctor, but I just signed up for a new health plan and I didn't get my ID card until last week and I don't have a personal physician yet and it's hard and whine, whine, whine.

I've tried Advil. Nothing. I've tried Yoga - but I can't figure out how to contort myself into a position that stretches that particular spot. I also tried laying on my back with tennis balls under me while I scoot around so that the tennis balls massage the muscles on the sides of my spine. Ok, I'm getting desperate. I'm going to try a heating pad when I get home tonight. I've had this before and eventually it goes away, but in the meantime, it's not getting better and I have to sit on an uncomfortable airplane seat for 5 hours tomorrow. Maybe if I'm too sore to sit for long periods of time, I can skip the first session of the conference on Saturday morning (see rant below) and sleep in without guilt.

5 comments:

Becky said...

you could always get one of those stick on self heating pads (advertized on TV--I have no idea what they are called--they might be jus the thing for an airplane ride!)

Nikki said...

I tried those once. They're awesome.

I felt pretty good on the plane and sitting through the first day of the conference but the hotel bed is really hard and uncomfy. Who likes to sleep on these hard hotel beds with super-overstuffed pillows?

Nikki said...

Yes, I could use a muscle relaxant about now.

Andy said...

Beware of RSI. That might also be a spasm from extended strain too minor to notice at the time. Are you leaning forward for long period such as over a keyboard or towards a desk that is a little too far away?

If so, this combined with the muscle relaxant poses an interesting image of a face plant in the keyboard. hah. (kidding)
Have you seen the Far Side of the boneless chicken ranch?

Or maybe the Spanish soaps are so compelling you unknowingly lean forward through the whole show in anticipation and suspense. Ya. That's gotta be it.

Nikki said...

You're probably right, Andy. I procrastinated ordering my desktop for my office and I've been using my laptop everyday. It's not exactly ergonometrically ideal to type on that little keyboard while looking down at my 12" screen. I finally ordered the computer last Wednesday and it will be here in 2 weeks. In the meantime, I'll try to sit up straighter.