Thursday, October 13, 2005

Research

A student came to my office to ask me some questions about the homework and then she told me that she liked my class and asked if I was teaching it next semester. I said no, we only teach during one semester. She seemed really surprised (s stands for student):

s: but I told all of my friends that they should take this class from you.

me: thanks, but I'm only teaching during the fall this year.

s: what do you mean?

me: well, I teach this semester and then next semester I can focus on doing research.

s: are they sending you back to stanford?

me: no, I have a full-time job here.

s: so why don't you teach next semester?

me: because a big part of my job is doing research. and I don't get much done when I'm teaching. that's what I'll be doing next semester. all of the professors only teach for one semester every year so that we can do research.

s: it must be nice to get the summers off

me: actually, I'll be doing research. RESEARCH.

I know it's hard to fathom what accounting professors might research. If you watched me all day, you might mistakenly think I must be researching web surfing. But really, I'm thinking up brilliant research ideas.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Love the description! I can just see you there trying to explain the concept of research.
Very flattering though...Perhaps she was simply confused by the quality of your teaching...researchers aren't always very good at teaching...

Nikki said...

Today, ANOTHER student said that she didn't see me in the course schedule for next semester and asked if I had to go back to Stanford.